From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a #g-d first impression might represent process and metastructure
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:40:43
1 On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 21:45 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > > I was up late on a friday evening hacking up a nifty addition to my
3 > > system and in my excitement and exuberance jumped on IRC to the dev
4 > > channel to get pointers to the best "official" references to ebuild
5 > > crafting and submission.
6 > >
7 > > As it was absolutely silent, I waited a few minutes and requested voice
8 > > from the first notice of motion i saw in the channel.. "re", or some
9 > > similar indication of important offical business commencing. I was
10 > > informed that the bottom line was voice was only granted to developers,
11 > > period, end of story, no exceptions, and I was obviously misinformed and
12 > > should be elsewhere. Instead of anything like assistance I wound up
13 > > being told
14 > > 1) (condescension) it was people like me who try to skirt the gentoo
15 > > process which are actually the problem even if we think it's contributing,
16 > > 2)these important people in this channel are only here so that they can
17 > > occasionally ping each other and see thier nickname had been highlighted.
18 > > 3) that under no circumstance was I going to get an audience in
19 > > #gentoo-dev, now or in future context, because it was for developers,
20 > > and regardless of 20 years coding experience or working on linux since
21 > > 0.99, I was not a developer
22 > > 4) I could feel free to file a bug if I thought there was an issue, or
23 > > talk to a recruiter about something to help out with.
26 > Without hearing the other side of the story or seeing a transcript of
27 > the conversation, it is hard to say whether whoever this was reacted
28 > properly or not, however I would say they have a major stick up their
29 > ass. Don't assume everybody in #gentoo-dev would have reacted to your
30 > query the same way. For example, people have asked me for voice a few
31 > times, and I grant it to them if their question or concern actually has
32 > to do with development of gentoo. If the request amounts to user
33 > support, I tell them to try #gentoo or bugzilla.
34 >
35 > In any case, if they said voice was only granted to developers, they are
36 > dead wrong. Developers have ops, while developers in training or
37 > wannabe developers are typically granted voice.
38
39 I would have to agree with Stephen on this. There are a few developers
40 that would snap like that, but don't assume we're all like that. I'm not
41 sure if IRC would have been the best place to present you 'awesome' new
42 thing. A better idea would probably be to post a thread on this mailing
43 list to get more exposure. Of course, you could include your nickname
44 for IRC, but this or the forums would be a great place to get 'noticed'
45 per say if it really would be something to add to Gentoo.
48 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
49 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
50
51 ---
52 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
53 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
54
55 ramereth/irc.freenode.net