From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage: good news and bad news
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:32:38
1 "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org> writes:
2
3 > Terje Kvernes wrote:
4 >
5 > > hm. I haven't seen repoman before, seems nice. also, somone[tm]
6 > > introduced the "mirror://sourceforge"-syntax. when was this done?
7 >
8 > It has been in since around May. I think when sourceforge changed
9 > all their URL's for http downloads, drobbins threw it in to address
10 > that.
11
12 that makes sense. it was just that I haven't seen an announcement
13 on the topic. it might be me though. ;-)
14
15 > There is a file /usr/portage/thirdpartymirrors where you can set up
16 > other mirrors.
17
18 ITYM /usr/portage/profiles/thirdpartymirrors. but thanks for the
19 pointer. it was a rather cute detail though, even if some of my
20 ebuilds broke. no, they're not submitted. I'm still having issues
21 with ggz-kde-stuff. this time it's sandbox-related. more sed to
22 come it seems. *sigh*
23
24 > > I am trying to contribute ebuilds and fiddle with portage, but
25 > > there doesn't seem to be to much information about internal
26 > > changes coming down from gentoo-core. I've been trying to get the
27 > > internals of portage into my head, but changes happen and I'm not
28 > > totally sure what ends those changes are about, hence it is
29 > > difficult to really contribute.
30 >
31 > Daniel does most of the portage hacking, and he does quite a lot.
32 > He has been making some major tweaks with the code lately (if you
33 > hadn't noticed),
34
35 I've noticed. it has effectively kept me from doing anything with
36 portage for a while. sadly enough. I'd like to see where the
37 stability levels are going, also I really miss a reason for ebuild
38 updates in the ebuild itself. but I've ranted about this before,
39 and noone seems to care.
40
41 > and he does keep track of the major changes in the portage
42 > Changelog.
43
44 my problem with portage right now is that I want to understand the
45 code and the intent of the code. I'm going to try again to produce
46 a map of portage to see what really happens. documentation with
47 regards to the development of portage isn't the best thing about
48 it. but of course, it's better to have a fix, then to document the
49 problem.
50
51 > Well, it looks like you have to look in the gentoo-src tree to see
52 > the "real" portage Changelog. If you don't want to check it out of
53 > CVS, you can look at it here:
54 >
55 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-src/portage/
56
57 thanks. I was sort of more hoping for some abstracts of portage
58 itself. how does things get called, why, what modules exist for
59 what reason etc. maybe I'll try producing something like that for
60 myself as I dig in the code.
61
62 > As to gentoo-core, we are working on defining exactly what should
63 > and should not go on there. It is mainly developer introductions
64 > and pre-discussions about various issues that will either be shot
65 > down or opened up to gentoo-dev once they have matured a little.
66
67 my apologies, I'm just the curious guy with a bit too much time on
68 my hands now and then. things are obviously happening. I just feel
69 that now and then it comes as an "this is now done"-announcement,
70 before anyone outside the core team knew about the start of the
71 project. for good or bad. ;-)
72
73 but please, don't take this as a criticism of the way Gentoo is
74 being run. I'm just very scared by some ideas that have come around
75 -- like separate portage trees for stable / unstable release.
76
77 the way one implements stability levels is something I care a good
78 deal about, because I really don't want Gentoo to become
79 "debian-by-source". we can do so much better.
80
81 I've ranted about my views on stability levels and ebuild update
82 comments on this list before, so I'll leave it at that. if anyone
83 wants another recap I'll be happy to produce it whatever media is
84 desired.
87 Terje - a very happy, but slightly worried, Gentooer.