From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage: good news and bad news
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 13:11:18
1 Terje Kvernes wrote:
2 > hm. I haven't seen repoman before, seems nice. also, somone[tm]
3 > introduced the "mirror://sourceforge"-syntax. when was this done?
4
5 It has been in since around May. I think when sourceforge changed all
6 their URL's for http downloads, drobbins threw it in to address that.
7 There is a file /usr/portage/thirdpartymirrors where you can set up
8 other mirrors.
11 > I am trying to contribute ebuilds and fiddle with portage, but there
12 > doesn't seem to be to much information about internal changes coming
13 > down from gentoo-core. I've been trying to get the internals of
14 > portage into my head, but changes happen and I'm not totally sure
15 > what ends those changes are about, hence it is difficult to really
16 > contribute.
17
18 Daniel does most of the portage hacking, and he does quite a lot. He
19 has been making some major tweaks with the code lately (if you hadn't
20 noticed), and he does keep track of the major changes in the portage
21 Changelog. Well, it looks like you have to look in the gentoo-src tree
22 to see the "real" portage Changelog. If you don't want to check it out
23 of CVS, you can look at it here:
24
25 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-src/portage/
26
27 As to gentoo-core, we are working on defining exactly what should and
28 should not go on there. It is mainly developer introductions and
29 pre-discussions about various issues that will either be shot down or
30 opened up to gentoo-dev once they have matured a little.
31
32 Chad (chadh@g.o)