From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-text/cuneiform
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:25:32
1 24.03.2013 13:15, Róbert Čerňanský пишет:
2 > And that is why I now appeal to users:
3 >
4 > _Do not report bugs to Gentoo unless a package is completely broken._
5 >
6 > Because what you will get in return? Package removed.
7
8 If package is broken, upstream is dead/unresponsive and nobody wants or
9 can fix it - yeah, it will be treecleaned. Sooner or later. Cause we
10 should keep some QA standarts that are expected by users.
11
12 > A package with bugs has a greater user value than no package at all.
13 > Until Gentoo does not understands that and does not change its removal
14 > policy accordingly, and provides technical means to reflect it*, it is
15 > the only user-viable** way how to keep a package in the tree as long as
16 > possible.
17 >
18 > * Which could be e. g. masking a package until it is completely
19 > broken.
20 >
21 > ** No, I do not want to become a developer. No, I do not want to
22 > maintain a package. I am the user, I want using it. (It does not
23 > mean that I do not contribute to the community, I just have other
24 > ways/projects to do so.)
25
26 If you, as user, want to use package that does not fullfill minimum QA
27 requirements, nobody can stop your from installing it from your local
28 overlay. You can not rely on support through bugzilla from that moment,
29 but if package was removed because lack of maintainership it does not
30 matter, does not it?
31
32 Main tree is not place for dead AND(not or, and!) not working packages.
35 Best regards, Sergey Popov
36 Gentoo Linux Developer
37 Desktop-effects project lead