From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-text/cuneiform
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:16:15
1 On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:13:07 -0400
2 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> "MC" == Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> writes:
5 >
6 > MC> The package is going away unless someone fixes the bugs and
7 > MC> properly maintains the package
8 >
9 > Again, that is an irresponsible mistake. It is better to just leave
10 > it as is than to kick it. Dropping important packages can only harm
11 > the community and is never welcome.
12
13 And that is why I now appeal to users:
14
15 _Do not report bugs to Gentoo unless a package is completely broken._
16
17 Because what you will get in return? Package removed.
18
19 A package with bugs has a greater user value than no package at all.
20 Until Gentoo does not understands that and does not change its removal
21 policy accordingly, and provides technical means to reflect it*, it is
22 the only user-viable** way how to keep a package in the tree as long as
23 possible.
24
25 * Which could be e. g. masking a package until it is completely
26 broken.
27
28 ** No, I do not want to become a developer. No, I do not want to
29 maintain a package. I am the user, I want using it. (It does not
30 mean that I do not contribute to the community, I just have other
31 ways/projects to do so.)
32
33 Robert
37 Róbert Èeròanský