From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 05:28:20
1 Hi all,
2
3 I want to raise the question of the correct usage of USE flags.
4
5 For example, I'm building an ebuild for a game which can optionally use
6 vorbis and/or smpeg, which provide functionality for playing Vorbis or
7 MP3-format music. Without these, the game can only play .wav files and CDA
8 tracks.
9
10 Now, there exists a USE vorbis flag. I can depend on this in deciding, in the
11 ebuild, whether to include vorbis support or not.
12 However, if USE vorbis isn't set but Vorbis is already installed, should I
13 use it?
14
15 A worse situation: there is no smpeg USE flag. I have 4 options:
16 1. Force usage of smpeg.
17 2. Use smpeg if it's already installed.
18 3. Never use smpeg.
19 4. Create a USE smpeg flag.
20
21 Option 4 I dismiss. If we create USE flags for every shared library and util
22 which might possibly be used by another package, there will be a hundred
23 falgs or more and a user won't be able to take time to understand the meaning
24 of each and decide on setting it or not.
25 There seems no reason to do option 3. Option 2 might seem to be a good
26 default, but what about option 1? Is there any good reason not to use smpeg,
27 if it takes only 20 mins to d/l and install and adds important functionality?
28 If there is, we should create a DONT_USE smpeg flag :-)
29
30 There's more to it than that, however. Suppose the user has no Internet
31 cinnection, right now or at all. He may have the ource archives of the game,
32 but not of smpeg. If we make smpeg a required dependency, he won't be able to
33 install without modifying the ebuild.
34
35 This is why I think that instead of using cumbersome USE flags, we should
36 very simply ask the user (interactively) what optional dependencies he wants.
37 The USE flags would be used as default choices for a non-interactive
38 installation process. I think this is much more simple and elegant than
39 making the user's choices for him!
40
41 Comments welcome!
46 Dan Armak