From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:12:22
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 02:29:40PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > A worse situation: there is no smpeg USE flag. I have 4 options:
4 > 1. Force usage of smpeg.
5 > 2. Use smpeg if it's already installed.
6 > 3. Never use smpeg.
7 > 4. Create a USE smpeg flag.
8 >
9 > Option 4 I dismiss. If we create USE flags for every shared library and util
10 > which might possibly be used by another package, there will be a hundred
11 > falgs or more and a user won't be able to take time to understand the meaning
12 > of each and decide on setting it or not.
13
14 The solution is to use option 4. As soon as I have the dev team reorganized,
15 I'll be adding some much-needed USE upgrades to portage. In addition to
16 allowing USE categories, the new USE behavior will allow certain options to be
17 "on by default". This will allow the system profile to set "media(smpeg)" on
18 automatically, and it will even be enabled if the user doesn't have
19 "media(smpeg)" in his USE variable in make.conf. If he wants to disable it,
20 he'll need to explicitly type "-media(smpeg)". This will allow us to hide a
21 lot of complex USE variables from the end-user and keeping the difficult USE
22 work in the system profile. This way, novice users are much less likely to
23 accidentally disable critical components by accidentally deleting a USE variable
24 from make.conf.
25
26 > There seems no reason to do option 3. Option 2 might seem to be a good
27 > default, but what about option 1? Is there any good reason not to use smpeg,
28 > if it takes only 20 mins to d/l and install and adds important functionality?
29 > If there is, we should create a DONT_USE smpeg flag :-)
30
31 It is fine to force the use of a particular package as long as an overwhelmingly
32 large percentage of the people would want such functionality built-in. But, if
33 it's simply an optional component that some people may not want, it should be
34 configured via a USE variable.
35
36 Best Regards,
39 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>