From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:19:20
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2001 20:12, you wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 02:29:40PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > A worse situation: there is no smpeg USE flag. I have 4 options:
4 > > 1. Force usage of smpeg.
5 > > 2. Use smpeg if it's already installed.
6 > > 3. Never use smpeg.
7 > > 4. Create a USE smpeg flag.
8 > >
9 > > Option 4 I dismiss. If we create USE flags for every shared library and
10 > > util which might possibly be used by another package, there will be a
11 > > hundred falgs or more and a user won't be able to take time to understand
12 > > the meaning of each and decide on setting it or not.
13 >
14 > The solution is to use option 4. As soon as I have the dev team
15 > reorganized, I'll be adding some much-needed USE upgrades to portage. In
16 > addition to allowing USE categories, the new USE behavior will allow
17 > certain options to be "on by default". This will allow the system profile
18 > to set "media(smpeg)" on automatically, and it will even be enabled if the
19 > user doesn't have "media(smpeg)" in his USE variable in make.conf. If he
20 > wants to disable it, he'll need to explicitly type "-media(smpeg)". This
21 > will allow us to hide a lot of complex USE variables from the end-user and
22 > keeping the difficult USE work in the system profile. This way, novice
23 > users are much less likely to accidentally disable critical components by
24 > accidentally deleting a USE variable from make.conf.
25 Well, that's certainly better than what there is now :-)
28 > > There seems no reason to do option 3. Option 2 might seem to be a good
29 > > default, but what about option 1? Is there any good reason not to use
30 > > smpeg, if it takes only 20 mins to d/l and install and adds important
31 > > functionality? If there is, we should create a DONT_USE smpeg flag :-)
32 >
33 > It is fine to force the use of a particular package as long as an
34 > overwhelmingly large percentage of the people would want such functionality
35 > built-in. But, if it's simply an optional component that some people may
36 > not want, it should be configured via a USE variable.
37
38 I still think there should be optional user-interactive mode. It could print
39 a suggestion based on the USE flags as the default choice, or accept a
40 --silent flag and make all the default choices itself. For detais read the
41 other messages in the thread (some of the replies are out-of-thread, the
42 subject line changed).
47 Dan Armak
48 Gentoo Linux Developer
49 Matan, Israel