From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:52:19
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:20:39PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > > It is fine to force the use of a particular package as long as an
4 > > overwhelmingly large percentage of the people would want such functionality
5 > > built-in. But, if it's simply an optional component that some people may
6 > > not want, it should be configured via a USE variable.
7 >
8 > I still think there should be optional user-interactive mode. It could print
9 > a suggestion based on the USE flags as the default choice, or accept a
10 > --silent flag and make all the default choices itself. For detais read the
11 > other messages in the thread (some of the replies are out-of-thread, the
12 > subject line changed).
13
14 If people want an interactive mode, we can add one (I have no reason to oppose
15 it, as long as a non-interactive build is the default). It could be really
16 handy. But we need the new USE system first. In the meantime, I have no
17 problem with you discussing how you'd like an interactive build mode to work,
18 since we'll most likely add one eventually.
19
20 Best Regards,
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
24 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org