From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:05:29
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2001 20:52, you wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:20:39PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > > It is fine to force the use of a particular package as long as an
4 > > > overwhelmingly large percentage of the people would want such
5 > > > functionality built-in. But, if it's simply an optional component that
6 > > > some people may not want, it should be configured via a USE variable.
7 > >
8 > > I still think there should be optional user-interactive mode. It could
9 > > print a suggestion based on the USE flags as the default choice, or
10 > > accept a --silent flag and make all the default choices itself. For
11 > > detais read the other messages in the thread (some of the replies are
12 > > out-of-thread, the subject line changed).
13 >
14 > If people want an interactive mode, we can add one (I have no reason to
15 > oppose it, as long as a non-interactive build is the default). It could be
16 > really handy. But we need the new USE system first. In the meantime, I
17 > have no problem with you discussing how you'd like an interactive build
18 > mode to work, since we'll most likely add one eventually.
19 >
20 OK! This thread broke up into several threads due to different subject lines,
21 and the subject isn't right any more anyway, so Ill post a new message with
22 my suggestions based on this discussion.
25 Dan Armak
26 Gentoo Linux Developer
27 Matan, Israel