From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing (more-than-absolutely-minimal) Python support for non-x86 arches
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 22:58:22
1 On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:49:42 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 3/14/20 1:15 PM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 19:13:58 +0100
6 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > > I've never joined an arch team as I'm not really interested in stable.
8 > > I understand what you're saying about keyword requests but I didn't
9 > > realise they were also a big issue.
10 > >
11 > > I'm not even keeping up with the work I'm supposed to be doing already
12 > > so I don't exactly want to sign up for more. However, I do have a
13 > > couple of (unstable) arm systems that are important to me so I need to
14 > > keep them running and up to date. Perhaps we could write a tool that
15 > > looks up newer versions of installed ebuilds that have dropped keywords
16 > > for a given arch and report which dependencies also need keywording. I
17 > > guess we don't have something like that?
18 >
19 > Automation like that sounds good.
20 >
21 > Also, I wonder if we should introduce an arch-independent keyword which
22 > would probably make sense for a lot of python packages.
23 >
24 > Also, I've got this patch from drobbins that allows one architecture to
25 > sort of inherit keywords from another architecture:
26 >
27 > https://github.com/zmedico/portage/compare/master...zmedico:drobbins-track-keywords?expand=1
28
29 That's kind of what ALLARCHES is for although IIRC the rules state that
30 packages should still be initially keyworded in the usual way. Other
31 distros do "noarch" though so the idea isn't without precedent.
34 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
35 Gentoo Linux Developer