From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Virtualization Herd
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 01:18:36
1 On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 22:28 +0200, Benedikt Böhm wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 July 2006 21:56, Nick Devito wrote:
3 > > Okay, in that case, extend the vserver herd to include a larger range of
4 > > virtualization stuff, including Xen, Bochs, and so on. It just seems
5 > > more fitting to group those packages together.
6 >
7 > not really, bochs, qemu and vmware is emulation, merely used in virtualization
8 > environments
9 >
10 > uml and xen do run with VMMs and don't share anything with
11 > OpenVZ/Linux-VServer
12 >
13 > uml and xen could be integrated into the VPS project (with a different herd)
14 > but i don't know what their maintainers are thinking about this
15
16 UML is not complicated or hard to maintain. I'm fairly happy
17 maintaining it with the help of the kernel herd, and (being a linux
18 kernel port) I think it really belongs in kernel, not in virtualization
19 or vmm or vserver, or whatever.
20
21 Maybe if there were some projects for full virtual server setups that
22 could use xen or uml or vmware or ... as it's underlying hosting
23 service, that could be useful, but just for maintenance, I don't think
24 it's really necessary.
25
26 I'm open to arguments in favor of such a project, tho, if people have
27 real plans. Certainly, an easier way to generate and maintain root
28 filesystems for UML would be nice.
29
30 Daniel