From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:50:46
1 Duncan posted on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 02:52:58 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Michael Orlitzky posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 05:58:41 -0400 as excerpted:
4 >
5 >> On 08/12/2017 04:39 AM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> There are use-cases for --changed-use / --newuse other than changed
8 >>> IUSE.
9 >>>
10 >>> I find it useful to easily rebuild affected packages when changing USE
11 >>> flags in make.conf. If the flags were removed, would we have a good
12 >>> alternative?
13 >>>
14 >> I simply overlooked the global USE change in make.conf because IMO it's
15 >> a nonsense operation
16 >
17 > ??
18 >
19 > How so? Are you arguing that deciding to system-wide switch to/from
20 > pulseaudio, systemd, or gstreamer is nonsense?
21 >
22 > If so, I suspect many gentooers including myself strongly disagree. If
23 > not, I'd be interested in what you propose as an alternative to changing
24 > the appropriate USE flag systemwide, for what is after all a systemwide
25 > change.
26
27 After thinking about it for a few days, I see some logic to the point...
28 in specific use-cases at least.
29
30 Not setting global USE flags works reasonably well, provided
31 (overlapping):
32
33 * You have exactly one profile that makes sense for you, or you
34 effectively create your own.
35
36 By definition, this means you either agree with or don't care about other
37 defaults, likely including openrc instead of systemd (because otherwise
38 you won't be able to choose any other profile instead), and either use a
39 minor arch (including x86), or use 16-bit only apps, or simply don't care
40 about the additional work and build-time that multilib brings.
41
42 Without addins, any time you want elements of multiple profiles, say
43 plasma, no-multilib, systemd, etc (as here), you need to start setting
44 many global flags for the ones you can't choose, either by setting them
45 in make.conf, or by creating your own profile to set them.
46
47 * You're just fine with the global defaults for anything not in your
48 profile, either because you simply don't care, or because you want them
49 the default off.
50
51 * Any non-profile/non-IUSE-default USE flags you /do/ care about, you
52 care about specific packages only.
55 In the above scenario it does make some sense not to have any USE flags
56 set in make.conf.
57
58 Of course that's rather the opposite of my policy, which needs multiple
59 profiles so must set the non-profile flags in make.conf, which considers
60 an unset flag as much a chosen global default as a set flag, and which
61 doesn't like profile or IUSE-defaults changing out from under it, so uses
62 -* as a USE= prefix in make.conf. But my case isn't every case, and
63 there's certainly a use-case where it does make sense, now that I've
64 thought about it.
65
66 Thanks for the prod. =:^)
71 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman