From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 02:53:18
1 Michael Orlitzky posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 05:58:41 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 08/12/2017 04:39 AM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
4 >
5 >> There are use-cases for --changed-use / --newuse other than changed
6 >> IUSE.
7 >>
8 >> I find it useful to easily rebuild affected packages when changing USE
9 >> flags in make.conf. If the flags were removed, would we have a good
10 >> alternative?
11 >>
12 > I simply overlooked the global USE change in make.conf because IMO it's
13 > a nonsense operation
14
15 ??
16
17 How so? Are you arguing that deciding to system-wide switch to/from
18 pulseaudio, systemd, or gstreamer is nonsense?
19
20 If so, I suspect many gentooers including myself strongly disagree. If
21 not, I'd be interested in what you propose as an alternative to changing
22 the appropriate USE flag systemwide, for what is after all a systemwide
23 change.
24
25 Just seems to me an extremely surprising and unexpected argument, so I'd
26 like to understand more of the reasoning behind it. I'll very likely
27 learn something, as invariably the answer to questions I find myself
28 compelled to ask due to what appears to me a transparently obvious
29 different answer, reveal an angle I hadn't previously considered,
30 sometimes changing my mind entirely. =:^)
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman