From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 09:58:49
1 On 08/12/2017 04:39 AM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
2 >>
3 >> The option is the same as --newuse except it ignores functionality that
4 >> you suggest to remove. You could certainly deprecate one option or the
5 >> other if they became the same. But the core functionality of
6 >> system-wide USE changes (by profile or user), needs to be scanned somehow.
7 >
8 > +1
9 >
10 > There are use-cases for --changed-use / --newuse other than changed IUSE.
11 >
12 > I find it useful to easily rebuild affected packages when changing USE
13 > flags in make.conf. If the flags were removed, would we have a good
14 > alternative?
17 I simply overlooked the global USE change in make.conf because IMO it's
18 a nonsense operation. But people do it, and we support it, so for the
19 sake of argument forget I mentioned removing --newuse. The --changed-use
20 flag would be redundant, though (it would do the same thing as --newuse).