From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 08:39:22
1 On 12/08/2017 03:11, Brian Evans wrote:
2 > --changed-use (-U)
3 > Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have
4 > changed since installation. This option also implies the
5 > --selective option. Unlike --newuse, the --changed-use option
6 > does not trigger reinstallation when flags that the user has not
7 > enabled are added or removed.
8 >
9 > The option is the same as --newuse except it ignores functionality that
10 > you suggest to remove. You could certainly deprecate one option or the
11 > other if they became the same. But the core functionality of
12 > system-wide USE changes (by profile or user), needs to be scanned somehow.
13
14 +1
15
16 There are use-cases for --changed-use / --newuse other than changed IUSE.
17
18 I find it useful to easily rebuild affected packages when changing USE
19 flags in make.conf. If the flags were removed, would we have a good
20 alternative?
21
22 Paweł