From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 01:11:15
1 On 08/11/2017 08:59 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 08/11/2017 08:45 PM, Brian Evans wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I disagree about removing --newuse and --changed-use from portage.
5 >> This is not their only use.
6 >>
7 >> If you happen to change the effective use system wide, USE= in make.conf
8 >> for portage, these options scan the entire system for such changes.
11 > Does --changed-use help there? I can see the argument for --newuse, but
12 > I thought --changed-use only applied to flags that were added or removed
13 > to installed packages (which becomes impossible, if we require new
14 > revisions).
17 --changed-use (-U)
18 Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have
19 changed since installation. This option also implies the
20 --selective option. Unlike --newuse, the --changed-use option
21 does not trigger reinstallation when flags that the user has not
22 enabled are added or removed.
23
24 The option is the same as --newuse except it ignores functionality that
25 you suggest to remove. You could certainly deprecate one option or the
26 other if they became the same. But the core functionality of
27 system-wide USE changes (by profile or user), needs to be scanned somehow.
28
29 Brian