From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for May 28
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 20:56:49
1 On Thursday 28 May 2009 21:52:49 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 28 May 2009 21:46:48 +0200
3 >
4 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > And just how do you plan to enforce that? What measures will you
6 > > > take to ensure that there's no way for developers or users to
7 > > > modify the repository?
8 > >
9 > > I can think of many simple methods. Like a tarball with a checksum.
10 >
11 > ...which a user can modify once it's been extracted.
12 >
13 > > Or a zipfile.
14 >
15 > ...which a user can modify once it's been extracted.
16 >
17 > > Or a git repository.
18 >
19 > ...which a user can commit to without telling the package manager that
20 > the cache is now invalid.
21
22 So, basically, we can't do anything, because the universe might spontaneously
23 decide to cease to exist. Quite scary, that.
24
25 Oh, and if you break stuff it is broken. Splendid!
26
27 Your random distraction at least made me giggle, but it is not relevant to the
28 discussion of a readonly repository.
31 > > That's all implementation details. But I think we can agree without
32 > > too much pain that it is possible to have a reasonably tamper-proof
33 > > format that we can consider readonly for these purposes.
34 >
35 > No, I do not in the slightest bit agree that there is an easy way of
36 > ensuring that what the package manager sees hasn't been tinkered with
37 > by a user or developer who "just wants to try a quick change out".
38
39 So things blow up. Sometimes Darwin has to do his work, especially when you
40 climb over two fences, break open a locked metal door and discover that the
41 Ursus arctos is, in fact, a very antisocial carnivore and not as cuddly as you
42 thought.
43
44 You cannot stop a determined user from painting himself in a corner, but you
45 can avoid most cases of accidental damage.
48 > > > We can't make changes because the package manager needs to know the
49 > > > EAPI in order to parse versions, since once we make changes versions
50 > > > will be defined in terms of EAPI.
51 > >
52 > > ... why? You're stating one possible scenario as the only potential
53 > > solution again. That ignores the other methods that were mentioned on
54 > > this mailinglist and in other places where you lurk. Please stop
55 > > being so dishonest.
56 >
57 > No-one has provided a viable way of extending the version format that
58 > doesn't require EAPI changes. So unless you're talking about your
59 > "start a whole new tree" idea,
60 Wait, I thought noone had provided a way ... except that one ... argh,
61 cognitive dissonance detected.
62
63 I'm sorry, you contradicted yourself. Please choose one option only.
64
65 > which has already been debunked to
66 > death...
67 Weird, that didn't happen in this universe.
68
69 > > > We want to make changes because, as has been stated several times
70 > > > previously, allowing 1.1_rc1 but forbidding 1.1-rc1 is entirely
71 > > > silly and arbitrary.
72 > >
73 > > See Intercal versioning. Also silly and arbitrary to avoid it, but
74 > > noone has provided a proposal to accomodate nonincreasing and
75 > > nonmonotonic versioning systems. I doubt you would want those allowed.
76 >
77 > No-one is suggesting making changes to match silly upstream versions.
78 But I thought you just said that silly and arbitrary restrictions ... I am
79 confused. You are in a quantum superposition state where you support both
80 sides of an argument and only collapse your brainwave functions whenever
81 someone tries to observe you or something ...
82
83 > What we are suggesting is making changes to match sensible and
84 > reasonable upstream versions.
85 Which we already have. Excellent, so you agree that we don't need to change
86 versioning. Sometimes I really like discussing with you, because after a long
87 time you suddenly accept reason :)