From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for May 28
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 21:09:27
1 On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:56:46 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > So, basically, we can't do anything, because the universe might
4 > spontaneously decide to cease to exist. Quite scary, that.
5
6 No. What we do is don't design a fragile solution. We design a solution
7 that can handle users doing what we reasonably expect users to do.
8
9 > > No-one has provided a viable way of extending the version format
10 > > that doesn't require EAPI changes. So unless you're talking about
11 > > your "start a whole new tree" idea,
12 > Wait, I thought noone had provided a way ... except that one ...
13 > argh, cognitive dissonance detected.
14 >
15 > I'm sorry, you contradicted yourself. Please choose one option only.
16
17 "Viable".
18
19 > > No-one is suggesting making changes to match silly upstream
20 > > versions.
21 > But I thought you just said that silly and arbitrary restrictions ...
22 > I am confused. You are in a quantum superposition state where you
23 > support both sides of an argument and only collapse your brainwave
24 > functions whenever someone tries to observe you or something ...
25
26 I said that allowing _rc but forbidding -rc was silly and arbitrary.
27
28 > > What we are suggesting is making changes to match sensible and
29 > > reasonable upstream versions.
30 >
31 > Which we already have. Excellent, so you agree that we don't need to
32 > change versioning. Sometimes I really like discussing with you,
33 > because after a long time you suddenly accept reason :)
34
35 No, we don't allow 1.1-rc1, which is a sensible and reasonable upstream
36 version.
39 Ciaran McCreesh