From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ALLARCHES and the maintainer action(s)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:23:31
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sat, 19 Sep 2015, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
4 > The ALLARCHES keyword is out since some time. For who does not
5 > remeber, the announcement is here [1]
6 >
7 > So, if an arch developer tests the package(s) on one
8 > architecture, he is allowed to stabilize/keyword for all.
9
10 This can lead to an interesting effect:
11
12 arch_A maintainer sees ALLARCHES keyworded bug, and tests
13 everything on A. Upon keywording and running repoman, she finds
14 that two other arches need additional deps. What to do?
15
16 The only feasible thing is to keyword for A and remove the
17 ALLARCHES keyword from the bug (and add a comment to that
18 effect).
19
20 Anything that involves more work than that will result in
21 maintainer mikado: whoever first touches the bug is stuck with
22 it. As a result, these bugs will rot much longer than is useful.
23
24 If anything, I'd say that the _maintainer_ can go ahead and
25 stabilize on all[0] arches after the first arch-specific
26 stabilization. Thus owning the decision and possible fallout.
27
28 Regards,
29 Tobias
32 [0] I am pretty sure some arches will want to opt out of this
33 scheme, at least for some more critical packages.
36 Sent from aboard the Culture ship
37 OU I Said, I've Got A Big Stick