From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:50:57
1 On pon, 2017-04-10 at 15:21 +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > It is always nice when a person who:
4 >
5 > Please stop the sarcasm. While I understand the reaction, the idea in
6 > itself does not seem totally crazy to me, and it seems useful to have
7 > a discussion on its merits.
8 >
9 > At the same time, I would not consider it far-fetched to say that you
10 > proposed significant changes to handling of manifest hashes, without
11 > deep knowledge of the security aspects of the hashing algorithms up
12 > for discussion.
13
14 I'm not sure if you're trying to insult me or just make a random point.
15 Even letting that pass by, I find quite a difference between not having
16 a 'deep knowledge' of something, and not having a 'basic knowledge'.
17
18 > This is sometimes how we learn. If you feel the thread
19 > wastes time, you can just ignore it (as you seem to have done with the
20 > manifest hashes thread after a few critical responses, somewhat to my
21 > disappointment).
22
23 Ignoring threads on thread that is mostly abandoned to terribly low
24 level of posts frequently results in people putting their terrible ideas
25 without even bothering to wait for a competent reply.
26
27 As for that Manifest thread, I didn't notice any post that would request
28 any reply. As far as I can see, it was mostly hijacked into 'why we
29 still don't have proper verification, and why asking questions about it
30 does not make it happen?!'
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny