From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 03:59:14
1 On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:10:11 -0600 William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> I would like for us to discuss adding the sbin directories to PATH for
6 >> all users.
7 >>
8 >> The only reason I can think of that we have removed them is cosmetic (it
9 >> removes things from tab completion), but I have also heard that having
10 >> those things in tab completion would be a good thing.
11 >>
12 >> Another reason I am bringing this up is this bug [1]. On standard OSx,
13 >> there is no reason to hard code the path to sysctl like I'm being asked
14 >> to do in the patch associated with this bug, because the sbin
15 >> directories are always in the path. In other words, it isn't worth the
16 >> effort to send this patch upstream, which means there will always be a
17 >> Gentoo-specific patch to dev-lang/go unless upstream finds another way
18 >> to do the test they are doing on OSx via sysctl.
19 >>
20 >> Any ideas?
21 >
22 > +1. Just do it.
23 >
24 > I add /sbin and /usr/sbin in PATH on all Gentoo setups for ages.
25 > Too many useful tools are there. Though, add them after /bin
26 > and /usr/sbin for non-priviledged users and before for root.
27
28 Swapping the order is silly and should be pointless. If we are
29 installing different binaries with the same name in bin/sbin, that's a
30 bug that needs fixing.