From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:40:26
1 On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:10:11 -0600 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I would like for us to discuss adding the sbin directories to PATH for
5 > all users.
6 >
7 > The only reason I can think of that we have removed them is cosmetic (it
8 > removes things from tab completion), but I have also heard that having
9 > those things in tab completion would be a good thing.
10 >
11 > Another reason I am bringing this up is this bug [1]. On standard OSx,
12 > there is no reason to hard code the path to sysctl like I'm being asked
13 > to do in the patch associated with this bug, because the sbin
14 > directories are always in the path. In other words, it isn't worth the
15 > effort to send this patch upstream, which means there will always be a
16 > Gentoo-specific patch to dev-lang/go unless upstream finds another way
17 > to do the test they are doing on OSx via sysctl.
18 >
19 > Any ideas?
20
21 +1. Just do it.
22
23 I add /sbin and /usr/sbin in PATH on all Gentoo setups for ages.
24 Too many useful tools are there. Though, add them after /bin
25 and /usr/sbin for non-priviledged users and before for root.
26
27 Best regards,
28 Andrew Savchenko