From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Android stage3
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 17:04:45
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Well, that would be a different approach, but I imagine you could
4 > build for prefix-style install using something like Catalyst and
5 > cross-compile. I have no idea how much tweaking that would require.
6 > The main issue is that unless you use qemu you're only going to get
7 > one pass. If you are going to use qemu then you could just build it
8 > all in an emulator and copy it over.
9
10 qemu-user with binfmt on a powerful workstation was my option, until I
11 actually tried it out (around 2013). It was much slower (5x? 10x?) than
12 running native on a phone. Not sure if the emulation of qemu-user
13 significantly improved over the years.
14
15 > You definitely could create a squashfs of /usr/portage and then just
16 > mount that on your phone. You could also nfs mount it I suppose, or
17 > use something like iSCSI (you might need kernel modules for both). Or
18 > use something like sshfs. I've also used a compressed ram filesystem
19 > for this purpose in the past (basically like a tmpfs only compressed,
20 > often used as a high-priority swap).
21 >
22 > And of course if you can spare the RAM you can build in tmpfs.
23 >
24 > So, there are definitely some "easy" options though some of them will
25 > cost performance.
26
27 Indeed. Nice hints. Actually we have zram documented in our wiki[1].
28
29 > Another option might be USB OTG. I think the 6P supports that with
30 > the right drivers. As long as it isn't noexec I'd think you could
31 > install Prefix on that.
32
33 Nexus should have no problem. The only paranoid vendor was Samsung
34 with a subset of their products.
35
36 Benda
37