From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Android stage3
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 16:07:45
1 On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 11:42 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 29/10/16 16:35, Benda Xu wrote:
3 >> No SD slot on Nexus. We will stress the internal NAND flash with
4 >> millions of ebuilds and rsync :)
5 >>
6 >> That makes me think of squashdelta sync, but probably after gaining
7 >> control of linux kernels to manage the squashfs module.
8 >>
9 > Completely out of my depth here, but can you cross-compile and is there
10 > some way of leveraging the USB-C connection on the Nexus 6P .. or are we
11 > talking super-complex then?!
14 Well, that would be a different approach, but I imagine you could
15 build for prefix-style install using something like Catalyst and
16 cross-compile. I have no idea how much tweaking that would require.
17 The main issue is that unless you use qemu you're only going to get
18 one pass. If you are going to use qemu then you could just build it
19 all in an emulator and copy it over.
20
21 You definitely could create a squashfs of /usr/portage and then just
22 mount that on your phone. You could also nfs mount it I suppose, or
23 use something like iSCSI (you might need kernel modules for both). Or
24 use something like sshfs. I've also used a compressed ram filesystem
25 for this purpose in the past (basically like a tmpfs only compressed,
26 often used as a high-priority swap).
27
28 And of course if you can spare the RAM you can build in tmpfs.
29
30 So, there are definitely some "easy" options though some of them will
31 cost performance.
32
33 Another option might be USB OTG. I think the 6P supports that with
34 the right drivers. As long as it isn't noexec I'd think you could
35 install Prefix on that.
38 Rich