From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:12:23
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 03:06:41PM -0800, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > On Saturday 19 November 2005 02:19 pm, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > > Minor? What you're asking for will cause a lot of administrative
4 > > > nightmare for infra to manage those subdomain addresses among other
5 > > > things.
6 > >
7 > > Frankly I think you're exagerating here.
8 >
9 > What about the end-user headache of having to change subscriptions/bugzilla
10 > accounts/aliases/etc. from username@××××××××××××××××.org to
11 > username@g.o should they turn dev?
12
13 Same rules that already are forced upon devs when they make the
14 change.
15
16 It's not really an AT specific issue. Bugzie changes are handled by
17 the devrel monkey who is converting the user over, ml, the user has to
18 do the re-subscribe on their own.
19
20 If you're after changing that process, hell, that would be nice, but
21 it's a global issue, not AT specific.
22
23 It's not a blocker for AT's, since it's a global issue.
26 > > It's a crazy notion, but y'all could've commented in the *TWO* months
27 > > that this glep has been percolating, "yo, what do you want from an
28 > > infra standpoint?".
29 >
30 > Yeah, my bad.. Had I known that infrastructure implementation decisions could
31 > be decided by a GLEP with no infra input requested, I would have paid
32 > attention.
33 >
34 > Besides, when I first read the glep "*TWO* months ago" there was nothing about
35 > email subdomains.. It was fine.. Therefore, I did not comment.
36
37 See email in response to lance. Two months is applicable for the cvs
38 requirements...
41 > > I see this mainly as infra/trustees not watching the ML.
42 >
43 > Foundation has nothing to do with this issue whatsoever.
44
45 Strangely, my mentioning of it is related to my (perhaps crazy?) view
46 that trustees should be watching what's going on with gentoo- the main
47 comment in the email is that at least the changes were known for a
48 month via the managers meeting is where the issue comes in. You
49 *should* be following the council's actions in my opinon.
50
51 Perhaps my view is flawed/stupid, but y'all are the stewards of
52 gentoo. I expect you guys to be rarely surprised by proposed changes.
55 > > Sucks, but too damn bad.
56 >
57 > So will be finding help from infra to implement this with that attitude.
58 > You're not helping the situation, Brian..
59
60 Kind of took that one out of context- the comment is in regards to
61 waiting till after something occurs to start complaining about it.
62
63 Subdomain complaints, fine, I'm not even going to argue that one at
64 this point, the actual cvs enabling, you should've known it was
65 coming- being surprised by it sucks, but so does trying to revert it
66 because it surprised you.
69 > I corrected my wrong in this thread,
70 > but I still feel that the lack of delay between the changes and the vote was
71 > not enough for devs to comment (specifically Lance). I don't care if I am a
72 > trustee or not, that's wrong. After your last email, I don't think you are
73 > in any position to comment on behaviour. ;)
74
75 Still stand by the email, surprisingly.
76
77 Thing is, you haven't corrected 'your wrong', and if you had just
78 *stated* the concern from above, rather then
79
80 "Lesson learned, make friends with a majority of the council, write
81 and propose a glep the day before a meeting and then push it
82 through. wow. sounds a lot like American politics."
83
84 I wouldn't be pointing to it as abhorrent behaviour that is cabal
85 fodder.
86
87 Baseless accusations don't usually result in people liking what you're
88 saying, even if you retracted the "council members voting on stuff they
89 didn't know about" claim.
90
91 If you can't see that, well I'll shut up on the point (others have already
92 pointed out it was a bs statement).
93 ~harring