From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: Handbook
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 08:41:34
1 On Friday, October 14, 2016 5:24:02 PM JST, Matthew Marchese wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > After _many_ essential and necessary years of service the Gentoo
5 > Documentation Project (GDP) has fulfilled its purpose[1][2] and is in
6 > the process of being phased out.
7 >
8 > As a platform, the wiki has enabled every Gentoo developer (not just
9 > those in the Documentation team) and many in the community to maintain
10 > Gentoo documentation. All the relevant "HOWTO" articles and other
11 > articles produced by former GDP members (and other contributors) have
12 > long since moved to publicly editable wiki namespace. These days the
13 > community and every Gentoo developer should step up to the plate from
14 > time-to-time and maintain the docs.
15 >
16 > There is very little that is currently "locked down" on the wiki. The
17 > Handbook (and everything else in the Handbook namespace) is one
18 > exception to what is publicly editable. Since it contains our official
19 > and crucial installation instructions; it is a bit risky to put it
20 > publicly editable namespace. This creates an inherent 'who's responsible
21 > to keep it updated?' So, in order to clarify who will continue to assume
22 > responsibility for the Gentoo Handbook, the Handbook project has been
23 > newly formed as a sub-project of the Wiki project. Currently just SwifT
24 > and me are in this new project, but anyone who's interested in
25 > updating/maintaining the Handbook is welcome to join.
26 >
27 > Here are our current goals, short and sweet:
28 >
29 > 1. Actively modernize and maintain the official Gentoo Handbook
30 > documentation in the Handbook: namespace.
31 > 2. Handle 'marking' the Handbook for translation.
32 > 3. Maintain the Handbook Development guide.
33 >
34 > Comments on these are welcome.
35 >
36 > Suggestions for Handbook updates or fixes can be left on each page's
37 > discussion page. Among other areas of contribution, those who are a part
38 > of this project will make it a priority to respond to these queries.
39 >
40 > I suspect next we'll need an e-mail address separate from the wiki's
41 > mail address. Other than that we'll still all hang out in #gentoo-wiki
42 > on Freenode and continue advancing Gentoo to a better place. Again,
43 > comments are welcome.
44 >
45 > Kind regards,
46 > Maffblaster
47 >
48 > [1]
49 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-doc/message/892f335a04fb7e372116ca3e6b2d0c84
50 > [2]
51 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-doc/message/944b4b36ab3883c6b223a240feb42fb8
55 Thank you all for maintaining the handbook and ensuring such a crucial
56 portion of Gentoo is maintained!
57
58 -Aaron