From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Decommissioning of the Documentation project?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:31:25
1 Hi all,
2
3 With the Gentoo Wiki being the sole handler of all end user (and often also
4 development, although the Devmanual is a separate aspect but not under
5 Documentation project anyway) we had a small talk on #gentoo-doc if there
6 was still a need to have the documentation project as an active project.
7
8 Because, you know, we're not active (beyond the wiki, which is doing great
9 btw).
10
11 I've been looking at what the project would still mean for Gentoo right now,
12 and if that would be sufficient to keep it alive. We
13 - have some documentation development guidelines as part of the
14 Project:Documentation umbrella (but which can be moved if needed)
15 - the translation subproject underneath (but again only with a guideline for
16 translations)
17
18 And that's basically not much, and a good reflection of how things evolved
19 in the past few years. Just keeping it in limbo doesn't serve us well. It's
20 a somewhat empty project, with its deliverables being implemented elsewhere.
21 So it's definitely not a failure, on the contrary. It's finished.
22
23 So personally, I wouldn't mind that we move whatever is still needed to the
24 right location (Project:Wiki most likely) and clean up (or archive if
25 needed) the rest.
26
27 But I'm also all ears for people who have some neat and innovative ideas to
28 do through the documentation project! So, what's your take on this?
29
30 Wkr,
31 Sven Vermeulen