From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge --binpkg-changed-deps
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 23:52:27
1 * Zac Medico schrieb am 05.08.15 um 00:04 Uhr:
2 >On 08/04/2015 01:16 PM, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
3 >> hi all,
4 >>
5 >> i find it a bit hard to understand how --binpkg-changed-deps is supposed
6 >> to work and what implications it has. Moreover I think the man page is
7 >> not very clear about what it does:
8 >>
9 >> "--binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
10 >> Tells emerge to ignore binary packages for which the corresponding
11 >> ebuild dependencies have changed since the packages were built. In
12 >> order to help avoid issues with resolving inconsistent
13 >> dependencies, this option is automatically enabled unless the
14 >> --usepkgonly option is enabled. Behavior with respect to changed
15 >> build-time dependencies is controlled by the --with-bdeps option.
16 >> "
17 >>
18 >> This looks a bit confusing to me. Am I alone with that?
19 >>
20 >> If I understand that option right, maybe this text is better?
21 >>
22 >> --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
23 >> When enabled tells emerge to ignore a binary package and do a
24 >> source build instead if the corresponding ebuild runtime dependencies
25 >> (RDEPEND) have changed in the portage tree since the package was built.
26 >
27 >It doesn't necessarily imply a source build, since you can have multiple
28 >binary packages available.
29
30 I see. So this might be better:
31
32 When enabled tells emerge to ignore a binary package if the
33 corresponding ebuild runtime dependencies (RDEPEND) have changed in
34 the portage tree since the package was built.
37 >With FEATURES=binpkg-multi-instance, you can
38 >have multiple local binary packages of the same package version in
39 >PKGDIR. Even without FEATURES=binpkg-multi-instance, you can also have
40 >multiple binary packages of the same package version coming from
41 >multiple binhosts.
42
43 I had hoped for a feature like that and did not realize its already
44 there, great! But thats another story..
48 >> To help avoid issues with resolving inconsistent dependencies this
49 >> option is enabled by default unless using source builds is disabled
50 >> by the --usepkgonly option.
51 >
52 >Adding "using source builds is disabled" would be a valid way to clarify
53 >the meaning of --usepkgonly.
54
55 Yes, I think this will improve the description.
58 >> If the --with-bdeps option is also enabled, changed build-time
59 >> dependencies (DEPEND) will be considered instead.
60 >
61 >Not instead, but in addition to.
62
63 If the --with-bdeps option is also enabled, changed build-time
64 dependencies (DEPEND) will also be considered.
65
66 -Marc
69 0x35A64134 - 8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317
70 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134