From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Common make.conf screwups?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:17:32
1 Robert Moss posted <419D1B17.7060202@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:58:47 +0000:
3
4 > Well you definitely shouldn't have it in there if you're not using
5 > hardened. If you are using hardened I'm not sure...
6 >
7 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:34:22 +0000 Robert Moss <robmoss@g.o>
9 >> wrote:
10 >> | Also, perhaps highlight -fPIC in those cases where it shouldn't be
11 >> | used? Is that possible? Ehm. I don't mean that. Is that feasible? :-P
12 >>
13 >> What're the cases where it shouldn't be used?
16 upside down quoting... grr!).
17
18 No, not all archs follow x86 (or whatever arch rules you are assuming)
19 rules. On some archs (amd64 comes to mind as that's what I use), -fPIC is
20 required. Gentoo amd64 officially discourages it in make.conf, so as to
21 hilite ebuilds which do NOT set it so they can be patched to do so, but
22 it's required on the arch, regardless, whether it's configured in the
23 source, in the ebuild, or in make.conf, so on some archs anyway, it's NOT
24 wrong to have it in make.conf, hardened or not.
28 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
29 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
30 Benjamin Franklin
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list