From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Common make.conf screwups?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:21:39
1 On Saturday 20 November 2004 8:17 am, Duncan wrote:
2 > No, not all archs follow x86 (or whatever arch rules you are assuming)
3 > rules. On some archs (amd64 comes to mind as that's what I use), -fPIC is
4 > required. Gentoo amd64 officially discourages it in make.conf, so as to
5 > hilite ebuilds which do NOT set it so they can be patched to do so, but
6 > it's required on the arch, regardless, whether it's configured in the
7 > source, in the ebuild, or in make.conf, so on some archs anyway, it's NOT
8 > wrong to have it in make.conf, hardened or not.
9
10 As robmoss pointed out, -fPIC is good only for shared stuff.
11 Shared things will break on x86_64 if they don't have -fPIC, but that's not a
12 x86_64-specific issue. x86 may not have visible problems with the lack of it,
13 but it is still an issue and the arch simply works around it (with some
14 inefficiency effects)
15
16 I don't think any of this is new info... I recall such a discussion a while
17 back explaining about -fPIC...
18 --
19 Luke-Jr
20 Developer, Utopios