From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: Gentoo Seeds
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:55:53
1 On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 07:04 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > "bring the work to the main tree"?
4 > >
5 > > As in... duplicate functionality already provided by catalyst for quite
6 > > some time?
7 >
8 > Catalyst doesn't provide ongoing maintenance or migration of installed
9 > systems ... you need more than just a spec file for one of these seeds.
10
11 Like what? It sounds like they aren't providing anything but tarballs.
12
13 > > Why hasn't anybody even *tried* to contact Release Engineering on
14 > > something like this, considering we already have all of the tools
15 > > necessary to complete this, as well as the expertise?
16 >
17 > Perhaps because anyone can use the tools, and they don't need to be a
18 > releng member to do so?
19
20 Because it's *REALLY* stupid and shows just how unprofessional we are
21 when we have multiple groups doing the *EXACT* same thing using
22 different policies and procedures and all pushing it as if it were
23 *OFFICIAL* for the distribution.
24
25 I mean, we're really getting to the point where this is getting
26 *COMPLETELY* ludicrous. Instead of trying to work together, we have
27 every yahoo with an @gentoo.org address who wants to do something
28 *slightly* differently coming up with a new "project" for it.
29
30 Why can't we simply try to work *together* on things instead of this
31 whole "I'll start a new project" mentality that we have? It seems that
32 this *exact* sort of action is what causes frustrations between
33 developers and serves to strengthen the territorial pissing contests
34 that are going on daily all over Gentoo. The reason why it seems Gentoo
35 is fracturing is because of multiple people doing the exact same thing
36 in slightly different ways. Our users don't know what the hell is going
37 on anymore. Well, they're not alone... neither do I.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
42 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
43 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
44 Gentoo Foundation