From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system-logger
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:21:54
1 On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 03:05:57PM +0200, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
2 : I'm not sure we want Gentoo became a "do this and that and you'll get
3 : linux running" distro for dummies.
4 : SA using Gentoo SUPPOSED to know what is syslog and which one he likes.
5 : You realy should do some web research if you don't know which one to
6 : use. It will only help you to better understand your system.
7 : That's the main idea of installing Gentoo : to know your system and have
8 : only stuff you want. So basic installation should install only
9 : "THE MUST" components, leaving the rest to SA to decide.
10
11 The problem with this argument is that "THE MUST" components will vary
12 from person to person.
13
14 What we really need here is some direction and consistency. Dan, what
15 are your thoughts?
16
17 --Jerry
18
19 Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
20 ...It's much more important than that!