From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 06:53:38
1 On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 09:40:50 -0500
2 Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Wonderful response, William.
5
6 Just because its EOL, doesn't mean it stops working.
7
8 It just means *support* for defects and security problems is dropped.
9
10 It doesn't prevent us from:
11
12 a) vendor patching bugs
13 b) vendor patching security issues
14
15 So as much as I'm fervently annoyed by needing python 2 on my system
16 and want to get rid of it post-haste, I too think this move is too
17 aggressive.
18
19 It seems more sensible to me to remove things on the basis of a
20 *credible problem*, not on the basis of a conjecture that one could
21 appear in the future.
22
23 I'm not averse to change, I just understand for change to be executed
24 successfully, gradual and careful adjustments have to be made.
25
26 Though I deeply suspect once package.deprecated becomes a thing we can use,
27 we can relegate py2-only stuff there.