From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 14:40:57
1 On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 09:34:16AM -0500, William Breathitt Gray wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 09:24:26AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > It's quite another to mask random packages that have USE flags to
6 > > > optionally support whatever python 2.7 library. If you're going to
7 > > > last rites these, talk with the maintainer first, and only then, send
8 > > > emails one at a time. Doing that en masse isn't appropriate.
9 > >
10 > > ++ - I have no idea if that happened. For anything USE-controlled it
11 > > would make more sense to file a bug or mask the package-flag combo
12 > > itself.
13 > >
14 > > >
15 > > > On another topic, I'd prefer for python 2.7 not to be removed from
16 > > > gentoo. Tons of code still uses it.
17 > > >
18 > >
19 > > I'm sure a million people would share that preference. I'm not sure
20 > > what the upstream/security status is of 2.7. Obviously to keep it
21 > > around it would need to be reasonably secure, and somebody within
22 > > Gentoo would have to want to maintain it. That's basically the
23 > > criteria for keeping anything like this around. If somebody stepped
24 > > up and said "I'm maintaining 2.7 and here is why it will remain
25 > > secure..." I doubt they'd get a lot of resistance.
26 > >
27 > > --
28 > > Rich
29 >
30 > If Python 2.7 is EOL upstream then it sounds like upstream will not be
31 > maintaining it any longer; i.e. no more bug fixes nor support. That
32 > means Gentoo would have to maintain its own Python 2.7 fork if it's to
33 > remain in the repository. Naturally, maintaining a Python fork is not
34 > something the Gentoo team is ready to do, so it makes sense to remove
35 > Python 2.7 now that the EOL date is approaching.
36 >
37 > Besides, the Python 2.7 EOL date has been known since 2015, so those
38 > python 2-only packages will have had at least 5 years to migrate to
39 > Python 3.
40 >
41 > William Breathitt Gray
44 Wonderful response, William.
45
46 For the others who are seeking a quick "why? how? when? what?" there are these
47 links:
48
49 https://pythonclock.org/
50