From: "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 08:35:32
1 On 16/09/15 23:43, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 09/16/2015 04:25 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> Right now we kinda have three layers of team package maintainership
6 >> in Gentoo:
7 >>
8 >> 1. e-mail aliases + bugzilla accounts,
9 >>
10 >> 2. herds,
11 >>
12 >> 3. projects.
13 >>
14 >> Now if we get into the details, it's all very messy.
17 >> E-mail aliases are pretty much handled by obscure, proprietary
18 >> scripts. Formally Gentoo developers can read and modify them, but
19 >> willikins also provides read access to most of the aliases. E-mail
20 >> aliases specify the de-facto list of people receiving bug mail
21 >> and other package inquiries. E-mail aliases are either listed directly
22 >> as <maintainer/> objects, or indirectly provided through herds.
23 >>
24 >> It should be noted that Bugzilla allows users to 'watch' particular
25 >> e-mail addresses, effectively subscribing users to the bug mail. This
26 >> can extend the list of people receiving bug mail for a package.
27 >>
28 >> Herds are stored in data/api.git repository, as an .xml file.
29 >> Additionally, read access is provided through api.gentoo.org site.
30 >> Herds specify explicitly the de-facto maintainers of packages maintained
31 >> by herds. In the past they could alternatively refer to project pages
32 >> but that support was dropped along with project wiki migration. Herds
33 >> are also mapped to e-mail aliases (which may list different people).
34 >> Herds are listed as <herd> objects.
35 >>
36 >> Projects are stored in the proprietary databases of our Wiki instance.
37 >> Projects may specify maintainers of packages where herd is supposed to
38 >> map directly to a project (though herds.xml doesn't provide a correct
39 >> mapping anymore), and also when the particular project's e-mail address
40 >> is listed as maintainer. Projects are usually (though not obligatorily)
41 >> mapped to e-mail aliases. There is no explicit listing for projects in
42 >> metadata.xml.
45 >> To summarize, I see the following issues:
46 >>
47 >> 1. All three layers are totally disjoint, stored in completely
48 >> different format in completely different places.
49 >>
50 >> 2. Only herds and aliases can be cleanly mapped via metadata.xml.
51 >>
52 >> 3. If an alias is given as maintainer, and the alias maps both to
53 >> a herd and a project, it is unclear which of the two it is.
54 >>
55 >> 4. Herds can no longer refer to projects, so all project members are
56 >> duplicated in herds (= increased maintenance burden).
57 >>
58 >> 5. Projects can't list members who do not have Wiki accounts or are
59 >> not Gentoo developers.
60 >>
61 >> So, what are your thoughts for unmessing this?
64 > Herds are groups of developers that can then be mapped to a package.
67 Herds are a group of packages, which are maintained my one or more developers or
68 a project team consisting of one or more developers.