From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 21:44:11
1 On 09/16/2015 04:25 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Right now we kinda have three layers of team package maintainership
5 > in Gentoo:
6 >
7 > 1. e-mail aliases + bugzilla accounts,
8 >
9 > 2. herds,
10 >
11 > 3. projects.
12 >
13 > Now if we get into the details, it's all very messy.
16 > E-mail aliases are pretty much handled by obscure, proprietary
17 > scripts. Formally Gentoo developers can read and modify them, but
18 > willikins also provides read access to most of the aliases. E-mail
19 > aliases specify the de-facto list of people receiving bug mail
20 > and other package inquiries. E-mail aliases are either listed directly
21 > as <maintainer/> objects, or indirectly provided through herds.
22 >
23 > It should be noted that Bugzilla allows users to 'watch' particular
24 > e-mail addresses, effectively subscribing users to the bug mail. This
25 > can extend the list of people receiving bug mail for a package.
26 >
27 > Herds are stored in data/api.git repository, as an .xml file.
28 > Additionally, read access is provided through api.gentoo.org site.
29 > Herds specify explicitly the de-facto maintainers of packages maintained
30 > by herds. In the past they could alternatively refer to project pages
31 > but that support was dropped along with project wiki migration. Herds
32 > are also mapped to e-mail aliases (which may list different people).
33 > Herds are listed as <herd> objects.
34 >
35 > Projects are stored in the proprietary databases of our Wiki instance.
36 > Projects may specify maintainers of packages where herd is supposed to
37 > map directly to a project (though herds.xml doesn't provide a correct
38 > mapping anymore), and also when the particular project's e-mail address
39 > is listed as maintainer. Projects are usually (though not obligatorily)
40 > mapped to e-mail aliases. There is no explicit listing for projects in
41 > metadata.xml.
44 > To summarize, I see the following issues:
45 >
46 > 1. All three layers are totally disjoint, stored in completely
47 > different format in completely different places.
48 >
49 > 2. Only herds and aliases can be cleanly mapped via metadata.xml.
50 >
51 > 3. If an alias is given as maintainer, and the alias maps both to
52 > a herd and a project, it is unclear which of the two it is.
53 >
54 > 4. Herds can no longer refer to projects, so all project members are
55 > duplicated in herds (= increased maintenance burden).
56 >
57 > 5. Projects can't list members who do not have Wiki accounts or are
58 > not Gentoo developers.
59 >
60 > So, what are your thoughts for unmessing this?
63 Herds are groups of developers that can then be mapped to a package.
64
65 Aliases are groups of developers and/or others that can be mapped to a
66 package (and more, but at least that).
67
68 Is there a reason not to do a merge into it all being one or the other
69 (preferably aliases I think, as it's somewhat more explicit with mail).
70 --
71 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)