From: xtv@×××××.de
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Antwort: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:13:58
1 Corvus Corax wrote:
2
3 > A possible solution to the problem could be some sort of
4 > "easy configuration tool contest"
5 > where beginner user could donate via paypal or such for a winners price,
6 > given out later for the best configuration tool written.
7
8 A nice idea, but possible not the right for gentoo.. Existing gentoo-users
9 have no real demand for an easy config tool and the people who have the
10 demand wont sponsor a gentoo project because they dont know it.. This
11 approach maybe would work for common linux configuration system.. But I
12 doubt there would be enough money acquired to pay even one developer. The
13 only solution I see is that somebody is coding such a tool who really likes
14 to code such a tool, maybe prooving he is better than microsoft in
15 designing point-and-click-config-tools :-)... Well, why not, there exist
16 even people who enjoy writing a spreadsheet ;-)
17
18 > or something like this, -- wadda you think?
19
20 I would think somebody should open a project at sourceforge and starting:
21 .) analysing existing config-tools like linuxconf, yast and webmin
22 .) analysing if it is reasonable to reengineer yast to a sane design
23 .) analysing if it is more reasonable to add to existing conf-tools some
24 good default-configs and some wizard-like tools
25
26 regards,
27 Thomas
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list