From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new herd: theology
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:35:22
1 Le Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:16:27 +0000 (UTC),
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> a écrit :
3
4 > Thomas Rösner <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de> posted
5 > 4633408F.5030507@××××××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Sat, 28 Apr 2007
6 > 14:39:43 +0200:
9 > Indeed. That's why while I don't personally agree with the idea of
10 > genealogy in theology, I think it goes in sci-*, I also don't believe
11 > it's a big deal in terms of herd placement. Herd placement is primarily
12 > of "internal Gentoo interest", that is, to Gentoo devs/ATs/etc, not even
13 > most users except for filing bugs and if it's automated there... .
16 I disagree. When searching for a software to do a given job and when I have
17 no idea of which software can do it, I begin to look for the ebuild descriptions
18 in the portage tree. It goes faster as anything else with mc. And I will never
19 search a genealogy program in theology, so I will just miss it if it is in
20 theology.
21
22 That said, I agree at it is not a big deal in term of herd placement from a
23 developer point of vue, but it is one, as I already said, in term of
24 consistency and meanings. English is not my first language, and if the
25 portage tree don't have a good consistency regarding to the meaning of the used
26 terms, I vote to replace those terms by numbers. So it will be no consistency
27 problem because it will be no consistency at all.
28
29 I am joking, the name of the herds are fine. And I prefer to have such a
30 naming policy as something as a/aa/* as on sourceforge.
31
32 Ciao,
33 Dominique
34 --