From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC/announcement] Reviewers project
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 15:34:40
1 On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:44:45 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/10/2015 04:27 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > >> The side goal is to review current Gentoo commits for major QA
6 > >> violations and other issues, aiming at improving the quality of
7 > >> ebuilds in Gentoo and helping other developers using bash, ebuilds
8 > >> and git effectively.
9 > >
10 > > This is completely unrelated: since we've had gentoo-commits ml,
11 > > every one has been able to do commit reviews easily, and most devs
12 > > have done so. Self-proclamed reviewers project certainly does not
13 > > have the monopoly of best practices nor perfect knowledge. I hope
14 > > they do keep the monopoly of being harassing though :)
17 > We are not a subproject of the QA team and have no hats to throw
18 > around. Nothing we say is a "you must do this" statement. Only QA can
19 > do that.
20
21 It is no secret that I don't care about "hats" :)
22 If someone is right, he's right, a QA hat doesn't make something wrong
23 magically right. Also, if you'd ask me, QA should be more about Quality
24 Assurance, meaning training people, writing docs, fixing trivial
25 stuff, helping devs to improve; which implies reviewer project fits
26 perfectly. "you must do this" statements shouldn't even be needed, and
27 are completely useless in a volunteer-based project anyway :)
28
29 > This is just a concept of peer-reviewing, which was very difficult in
30 > CVS times.
31
32 I fail to see how post-commit reviews are made easier with git.
33
34 [...]
35 > > Also, you should probably focus on what's really important: reviews
36 > > like "this is weird, care to explain?" or stylistic nitpicks are
37 > > just a waste of every one time, meaning more important stuff does
38 > > not get done.
41 > 'has_version' (which you are probably referring to) as a conditional
42 > for sedding headers is more than just "weird" and indicates a serious
43 > build system bug that needs to be addressed properly.
44
45 It indicates a conditional fix. Just as the code says. Before throwing
46 an email to -dev ml, I would have expected a reviewer to do his homework
47 and try to understand what the condition is, when it will be satisfied,
48 and why this was conditional. There is absolutely nothing wrong about
49 not knowing the answer, but using -dev ml for it is a bit spammy IMHO.
50
51 Alexis.