From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC/announcement] Reviewers project
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:44:59
1 On 10/10/2015 04:27 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 >> The side goal is to review current Gentoo commits for major QA
3 >> violations and other issues, aiming at improving the quality of
4 >> ebuilds in Gentoo and helping other developers using bash, ebuilds
5 >> and git effectively.
6 >
7 > This is completely unrelated: since we've had gentoo-commits ml,
8 > every one has been able to do commit reviews easily, and most devs have
9 > done so. Self-proclamed reviewers project certainly does not have the
10 > monopoly of best practices nor perfect knowledge. I hope they do keep
11 > the monopoly of being harassing though :)
14 We are not a subproject of the QA team and have no hats to throw around.
15 Nothing we say is a "you must do this" statement. Only QA can do that.
16
17 This is just a concept of peer-reviewing, which was very difficult in
18 CVS times.
19
20 The project isn't even strictly requried, but just an attempt to
21 formalize this and maybe make other people do it too.
22
23 > Also, you should probably focus on what's really important: reviews
24 > like "this is weird, care to explain?" or stylistic nitpicks are just a
25 > waste of every one time, meaning more important stuff does not get done.
28 'has_version' (which you are probably referring to) as a conditional for
29 sedding headers is more than just "weird" and indicates a serious build
30 system bug that needs to be addressed properly.
31 has_version also doesn't always work as someone might think it works.
32
33 But I agree. We'll work on project policies in the next few days
34 probably. But the scope will definitely not just be "build failures".