From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 16:57:05
1 On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 03:08:42PM -0600, Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
2 > On 2017-01-30 14:04, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
4 > > meson build system [3].
5 > >
6 > > …
7 > >
8 > > What do folks think here?
11 > I looked at Meson a bit, and I liked almost everything, except the
12 > configuration file-based mechanism for cross-compiling. Has anyone
13 > thought about how that will integrate with Portage, or more
14 > specifically, with cross-emerge/emerge-wrapper, and the environment
15 > variable-based mechanism used by other build systems?
16
17 I've never done any cross-compiling, but this is something that would
18 need to be looked at before I could make this live in Gentoo if that
19 happens.
20
21 There is also an open bug for an eclass for the meson build system which
22 I have been thinking about.
23
24 Keep in mind folks that this thread was started along with the upstream
25 issue to gather ideas.
26
27 William