From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting rid of USE=unicode
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 23:17:49
1 On 12/30/20 1:34 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 30. Dezember 2020, 19:53:25 EET schrieb Aisha Tammy:
3 >>
4 >> Yes, this sounds nice.
5 >> What about packages which rely on/give unicode support outside of this flag?
6 >> Like the global icu flag, which supposedly needs dev-libs/icu ?
9 > Hmmm... good point. I thought too simple.
10 >
11 > 1) We want to enable unicode unconditionally whereever that is possible
12 > without much impact.
13 > 2) If that pulls in large libraries like icu, a useflag remains useful.
14 >
15 > So maybe instead of any use.forcing we should just go through the ebuilds and
16 >
17 > a) reduce the number of occurences of IUSE=unicode as much as possible
18 > b) switch to IUSE=icu or similar where that makes sense
21 dilfridge++
22
23 Sounds awesome.