From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting rid of USE=unicode
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 18:34:52
1 Am Mittwoch, 30. Dezember 2020, 19:53:25 EET schrieb Aisha Tammy:
2 >
3 > Yes, this sounds nice.
4 > What about packages which rely on/give unicode support outside of this flag?
5 > Like the global icu flag, which supposedly needs dev-libs/icu ?
8 Hmmm... good point. I thought too simple.
9
10 1) We want to enable unicode unconditionally whereever that is possible
11 without much impact.
12 2) If that pulls in large libraries like icu, a useflag remains useful.
13
14 So maybe instead of any use.forcing we should just go through the ebuilds and
15
16 a) reduce the number of occurences of IUSE=unicode as much as possible
17 b) switch to IUSE=icu or similar where that makes sense
20 Andreas K. Hüttel
21 dilfridge@g.o
22 Gentoo Linux developer
23 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)