From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why are ebuilds licensed GPL v2 only (no later version)?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:50:06
1 Ulrich Mueller posted on Fri, 26 Jan 2018 10:36:49 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Apparently licensing of the Gentoo repository was changed from GPL-2+
4 > to GPL-2 (only) in 2002, see for example [1] and [2]. I cannot find any
5 > announcement or discussion about this.
6 >
7 > Who was around in 2002 and still remembers what was the rationale?
8 >
9 > Ulrich
10 >
11 > [1]
12 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo/historical.git/commit/skel.ebuild?
13 id=e67af11c176e4dca33846e65c2649aa456de3099
14 > [2]
15 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo/historical.git/commit/header.txt?
16 id=dc4dfe8aa903fb467e648da80f8bc3178411a77a
17
18 I wasn't around in 2002, but I was researching it by late 2003 and began
19 installing in early 2004, by which point Gentoo was suffering the
20 aftermath of the bitter split with Zynot and DRobbins was pretty much out
21 after having set up the Gentoo Foundation and (what became the) Council.
22
23 The Zynot side was focused on embedding and trying to take things
24 commercial, while accusing DRobbins of trying to do effectively the same
25 thing but with a(n IIRC) gaming focus.
26
27 That war has long since been fought and history has played out with
28 Gentoo still around and Zynot... not, so I'll try to avoid inserting
29 opinion /too/ much (tho I'm sure more recent events played out how they
30 did in part due to that history, people around then simply weren't
31 interested in what must have sounded rather similar), but...
32
33 The switch to GPLv2-only would have been made in the fight for its life
34 that was the Gentoo/Zynot fork, and almost certainly had to do with
35 trying to ensure that the gentoo/x86 tree could not be taken private
36 without community recourse, in an era before GPLv3 existed and there was
37 some uncertainty about what its legal terms were going to be, while those
38 of the GPLv2 were known, it had broad community support, and was at
39 least /somewhat/ legally tested.
40
41 Of course as we know it's possible for an entity owning copyright on a
42 GPLed work to also sell the rights to use it commercially, with the GPL
43 preventing others from doing the same, and that's what both sides were
44 accusing the other of trying to do, but as we've seen play out in other
45 contexts, the one thing the GPL /does/ do is provide a guarantee that the
46 code as-is will remain free, and community improvements to it without a
47 CLA letting the entity trying to take it proprietary are then disallowed
48 from being used to further that entity's plots. With the uncertainty
49 surrounding the still coming GPLv3 at that point, I believe the intent
50 was to ensure that continued. OTOH, those on the Zynot side would surely
51 argue that the intent was to ensure that Zynot couldn't take it private,
52 while Gentoo/DRobbins could, especially since at the time copyright was
53 assigned to Gentoo. Of course now we have the advantage of looking back
54 it it in history and can see how things turned out, but back then, it was
55 far less clear how things would turn out.
60 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman