From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywordreqs and slacking arch teams
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:28:00
1 On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:14:15 +0000
2 Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
3
4 > I know I'm gonna be shot down in flames, because $heresy, but here is where
5 > a package 'database' would actually work quite well, because you can
6 > trivially create a query that pulls this data out, and sorts it by package
7 > category or maintainer or whatever you like ..
8 >
9 > Ok, let the flamewars begin ...
10
11 There's no real problem with a package database, however, the real
12 limitation is in the ebuild source format, which ultimately means any
13 such database needs a lot of bash-sourcing hell to simply stay
14 up-to-date ( any time an eclass changes, the interpretation of every
15 ebuild that uses it also changes, necessitating some pretty fun(1) code )
16
17 And that winds you up fighting with portage internals.
18
19 So simply, in order for somebody like me to actually implement such a
20 thing, a precursory step is to rewrite enough portage to do just that.
21
22 But I haven't (yet) gotten around to that.
25 1: Not actually fun.