From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about licenses
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:16:51
1 On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:00:57PM +0200, Krzysiek Pawlik wrote:
2 > Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > >>Symlink? If MIT == MetaKit, then:
4 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
5 > >>ln -s MIT MetaKit
6 > > I don't know about this specific case but generally speaking licenses
7 > > that're similar in language and intent have very small (often cosmetic)
8 > > differences; if there is even the slightest difference it (legally)
9 > > qualifies as a different license and probably really should be included
10 > > separately to be safe
11 >
12 > Exactly my point :) I've looked at MIT and MetaKit and:
13 >
14 > +Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Jean-Claude Wippler
15 > -Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>
16 >
17 > Except formatting and above diff theye are identical.
20 You're right; chances are this is a mistake on the part of whoever
21 wrote/committed the MetaKit ebuild, it probably had a 'COPYING' file and
22 whoever reviewed it didn't recognize the MIT license. File a bug
23
24 Either way the point still stands as far as licenses in general go 8)
27 Jon Portnoy
28 avenj/irc.freenode.net
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list