From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: Chris Bainbridge <c.j.bainbridge@×××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Redux: 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:44:28
1 On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 20:11, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2
3 > Do you believe that this is the case for all developers? Even if it were,
4 > there are many programs other than daemons that connect to the internet that
5 > may contain exploitable code. Web browsers, email, irc, ftp, cvs, ssh,
6 > usenet, p2p; developers use these programs often, and many exploits have been
7 > found in client implementations in the past.
8 So shouldn't we focus on creating reliable software and only add package
9 managment etc. when the software is "good enough" ?
10 We have to accept a certain level of "bugginess", otherwise allmost no
11 software would exist.
12
13 > Know that a developer checks out
14 > cvs from some other project? Hack the server, and when his ip address
15 > connects, send trojan code. Then there are physical attacks; is a developer
16 > at your uni? Pick his door lock and install a hardware key logger.
17 So ... what stops me from r00ting an rsync server?
18 What stops me from taking some devs as hostages to get the keys?
19
20 I think that we _should_ focus on high-profile risks. That includes the
21 compromise of a small number of computers. Any large-scale attack will
22 succeed.
23
24 > All of these things might individually be less likely than a direct attack,
25 > but together the possibility that one small security breach, for a single
26 > developer, might occur is more than comparable to the possibility that the
27 > rsync code, which has been extensively audited, might contain an external
28 > exploit.
29 So ... what if hypothetically there was more than one service running on an
30 rsync server and the server was compromised due to something unrelated to rsync?
31
32 Hmmm, that reminds me of a gentoo rsync server that was compromised...
33
34 </sarcasm>
35
36 It is good that you, as well as many other Gentooists, are very aware of
37 security risks, but I think that this discussion is slowly slipping into
38 a paranoid worst-case analysis that says that we can't trust nobody.
39
40 The security system has to be robust (because people make mistakes) and
41 simple (because we are lazy). So any complex n+1 signatures with
42 certificate from m+1 servers will not work because some devs will not
43 keep the high standard of security that would be needed for such a
44 system. (e.g. ignore warnings because there are too many)
47 hth,
48 Patrick
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list