From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Red Star
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:17:01
1 On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 09:53, Greg Corcoran wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have just experienced the "Red Star" trying to emerge ALSA on one of
5 > my Gentoo systems.
6 >
7 > The "Red Star" problem has the following symptoms:
8 >
9 > 1. An emerge is executed
10 > 2. The package is downloaded if required
11 > 3. The checksum is calculated
12 > 4. A mysterious red star "*" appears and nothing further happens
13 >
14 > I'm running portage 2.0.33 with GCC 2.95.3 and have read about other
15 > people having this problem emerging ALSA, Nvidia drivers and OpenOffice.
16 >
17 > My guess is that there might be a new bug somewhere in Portage 2.0.33. I
18 > have read some people have seen this in 2.0.32.
21 Not entirely portage (actually, not at all).
22
23 > Does anyone have any insights to what is going on? I'm not a coding
24 > expert but I can certainly help out with testing.
27 Yeah. Will think of the proper fix now.
32 Martin Schlemmer
33 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
34 Cape Town, South Africa