From: Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The Red Star
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 02:53:59
1 Hi,
2
3 I have just experienced the "Red Star" trying to emerge ALSA on one of
4 my Gentoo systems.
5
6 The "Red Star" problem has the following symptoms:
7
8 1. An emerge is executed
9 2. The package is downloaded if required
10 3. The checksum is calculated
11 4. A mysterious red star "*" appears and nothing further happens
12
13 I'm running portage 2.0.33 with GCC 2.95.3 and have read about other
14 people having this problem emerging ALSA, Nvidia drivers and OpenOffice.
15
16 My guess is that there might be a new bug somewhere in Portage 2.0.33. I
17 have read some people have seen this in 2.0.32.
18
19 Does anyone have any insights to what is going on? I'm not a coding
20 expert but I can certainly help out with testing.
21
22 TIA
23
24 Greg